Looking for a super easy weeknight dinner idea? Here is an easy chicken and potatoes casserole that will make your family ask for more!! I came up with this recipe because I couldn’t find it anywhere on the internet or Pinterest, so I did it myself using what I do for baked potatoes and my chicken recipes and it turned out to be the most delicious dish yet!
You can substitute ingredients if you don’t have them on hand and this recipe works really well with beef as well, you can change out the soup for cream of mushroom unless your not a fan of mushrooms then the chicken works just as well.
Chicken and Potato Casserole
This is a super simple recipe and you only need a few things to make it! This recipe calls for onions (unless you don’t like them then you can omit them but honestly you can’t taste them), chicken breast or you can use a rotisserie chicken to make it a bit faster, potatoes, cheese, olive oil, flour, butter, salt, pepper, paprika, Lawry’s seasoning and some cayenne pepper.
You don’t have to use the cayenne pepper but it adds some flavor to this recipe without making it spicy, you just add a sprinkle.
If you don’t have some of the ingredients or your family doesn’t like certain things like onions you can substitute with something else that works for you.
This post contains some affiliate links see *disclosure for details
I used about 8 red skin potatoes and microwaved them for eight minutes to partially cook them then put them and then cut them up into triangles and place in a large bowl with the spices. Mix them all up and place in a Pyrex dish that is 3 quart or about 8 x 11 sprayed with cooking spray.
Put a few pats of butter on the top and place it in the oven on 450 degrees for an hour and remove promptly. Let it cool a bit.
While your potatoes are cooking cut up your chicken breast or rotisserie chicken and set aside. Get a bowl with 1/4 cup of flour in it and mix in some salt and pepper, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese (the grated kind), then roll your chicken in it and place in a well-greased pan on medium to brown the sides. Don’t overcook it or it will be rubbery!
Once your potatoes are done and cooled pour them into a bowl with the chicken and add a can of cream of chicken soup along with a splash of milk and stir, add back into your casserole dish and sprinkle a little cheese on top and cover it with foil. Place it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes and you are done!
- 8 Potatoes- I used red skin that are medium sized
- 3 Chicken Breasts or 2 cups Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 Onion sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 a stick of Butter
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- a sprinkle of Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Lawry’s
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- a pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Splash of Milk
- 1 10.75 oz can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Cup of Cheddar cheese or whatever you have on hand
- 1 tsp of Grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 or 4 spoonfuls of Flour
You can add in vegetables if you would like as well, I had Broccoli on the side but it would go really well in this recipe as well just cook it Al dente and add it into the bowl with the chicken and potatoes. This would be an amazing casserole as well! I love how chicken and broccoli go together with creamy potatoes, I just mixed mine in with each bite I took haha.
I love making chicken breast casserole recipes ahead of time and then pulling them out and warming them up a bit, so if you have time to make this recipe beforehand then take it out and let it warm up a bit and place in the oven covered at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. You may have to add in a little milk and mix it up a bit so it doesn’t dry out due to being in the refrigerator.
- Microwave your potatoes for eight minutes or until slightly soft, Let them cool and cut into chunks or triangles
- Cut up onions while potatoes cook and add them to your bowl
- Add potatoes to the bowl and add in your spices then drizzle the olive oil just to coat them
- Grease your 3 Qt or 8 x 11 casserole dish
- Add in the potatoes place a few pats of butter and cook at 450 for an hour or until soft
- Cut up your chicken and make your flour mixture then roll the chicken in it and place in pan on medium heat until brown
- Cool your potatoes then add them to a bowl with the chicken and put in your cream of chicken soup add a splash of milk and place back in your casserole dish
- Sprinkle your cheese on tops and cover with foil
- Place in oven at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes and serve
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do, it is by far a favorite in our house now and so easy to put together.
I know I haven’t written any new recipes for a while so when this one turned out really well I decided I needed to share it with you if you like it pin it to Pinterest so you can find it the next time you want to make this recipe!!