Shepard’s Pie Recipe Done Two Ways
It’s super frustrating when you try to look up a recipe that would be easy to do using a slight mommy hack and you can’t find a thing on it so you just figure it out on your own. That is how this recipe was born and came to be known as the Campbell soup Shepard’s pie recipe. This can be done in two ways which are both very quick and easy.
Mainly it became this way due to not having a lot of time to cook in the evening so I came up with an easy crockpot part of the recipe to cut out time and make it taste delicious. You can also do this stovetop which turns out delicious as well and you don’t have to use Campbell’s soup.
It still goes in the oven and is covered with mashed potatoes and believe me it tastes amazing!!! I only believe in making food that tastes good otherwise what is the point?!
Here are both these amazing Shepard’s pie recipes I hope you love them as much as I do.
Campbell Soup Recipe
You can make this with either ground beef or stew meat and add in any kind of soup you have that is a beef or vegetable flavor with carrots, beans, corn, or any other kind of vegetables you want in it. Spray your crockpot and add everything together and cook it on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is cooked and the sauce has thinned out.
You can add in some tomato paste to it if it’s to thick and mix it in so that it is like a gravy consistency. You can even add it in with everything else if you want to and I would also add in a tsp of Worcestershire sauce along with some celery salt about 1/4tsp and salt and pepper.
- 1 lb Cut up chunks of beef meat for stew
- 1 can of Beef broth
- 1/4 tsp of Steak seasoning like Montreal steak
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 cans 18.8oz of Campbells chunky beef and vegetable soup
- 1 small can vegetable beef
- 1 Package red skin instant mashed potatoes family size
- 1 Casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray
- Slotted spoon
- 2Tsp Tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- pinch onion powder
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp Celery salt
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray
- Add in stew meat and cover with seasoning
- Add beef broth just enough to cover the meat halfway and cover cook on low for 5 hours
- Add in 3 cans of soup, draining as much liquid from them as possible
- Cover and cook 2 more hours stir when possible once or twice
- Turn off the crockpot and let it cool slightly
- Remove stew from crockpot using a slotted spoon to remove liquids and place in a casserole dish
- Make mashed potatoes and add them over stew mixture in a casserole dish
- You can cover with foil and cook it later or cook right after
- 325 for 25 minutes and serve with a side of crusty bread and a salad
Simple Shephard’s Pie
If you don’t have a crockpot or don’t want to use one you can make this stovetop in a pan with a lid, cook the meat and onions and drain the fat then add in the vegetables, paste, and seasonings. It’s super simple and very tasty even your picky eaters will love this one. You can boil your potatoes for mashed potatoes or for a simpler meal you can use instant potatoes and have them ready while you are cooking the rest of the meal.
I have two little ones so it is easier for me to use instant then make them from scratch unless you make them beforehand during a nap, which barely happens for me and I’m sure you can relate to this as well if you have kids.
- 1 lb ground beef
- pinch salt and pepper
- pinch garlic powder
- 1/2 Onion
- 1/4tsp celery salt
- 1/4tsp onion salt
- 1/4tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4tsp pepper
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2cups frozen mixed vegetables or canned
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 family pack instant potatoes or 6 large potatoes cut up
- Preheat oven to 350 and start boiling potatoes if you are making them from scratch.
- Cut up your onion and put it into a saucepan with a lid along with the ground beef, a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Cook until brown and drain the fat then add in the tomato paste, beef broth, vegetables, and seasonings. Now is a good time to start the potatoes if they are instant and prepare your casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Cover and cook for ten minutes or until liquid is gone stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a casserole dish and add the mashed potatoes on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes then 5 minutes on broil on low rack.
Note: If you make this ahead of time and refrigerate be sure to cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes at 350 then 10 minutes on broil.
This is one of the best comfort foods to eat on a cold winter day and add to a weekly meal schedule. The idea came to me when I was at Costco and they had Shepard’s pie for sale in this small dish that had hardly any veggies or meat in it for $10. Better to make your own then buy it!
My husband was not sure at first when I served it to him but he gobbled it up said it was amazing!! He is a hard man to please when it comes to anything new for dinner but slowly I have been expanding his taste buds lol.
You can always make this one from scratch if you have time, but if time is short just throw this in the crockpot and make a simple meal of Campbell soup Shepard’s pie recipe!
Hope you love it!
If you like this recipe check out these: